MineScape RPG
New forum:
http://www.minescaperpg.com/Forum
Please use that forum for all posting from now on, this one will no longer be accessible.
MineScape RPG
New forum:
http://www.minescaperpg.com/Forum
Please use that forum for all posting from now on, this one will no longer be accessible.
MineScape RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The RPG server that will change the way you play Minecraft.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
dionnsai

The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements... Empty
PostSubject: The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements...   The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements... EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 6:14 pm

I'm not the type of person to go around messing with other people's crap, but I'll tell you this much: If I was, I'd be smart about it:

Based on the track record, as long as I commit my offense while there are likely to be no witnesses, I'm going to get away with it. There is no logblock or bigbrother setup on this server as of yet, so basically I can get away with murder. I just have to make sure my victim is not online, and not say anything about it where it might get logged.

One of the funniest things to me is the number of people who get caught doing stupid crap, even knowing the rules and knowing what proof is required to get them caught.

My overall point is this: Requiring video/picture proof is a pretty tall order. It pretty much means that only a complete imbecile will actually be caught/banned because anyone with half a brain is going to know how to get away with it.
Back to top Go down
CavGunner
Admin
CavGunner

MineScape Character
Tree Choice: Warrior
Class: Dervish

PostSubject: Re: The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements...   The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements... EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 6:27 pm

dionnsai wrote:
I'm not the type of person to go around messing with other people's crap, but I'll tell you this much: If I was, I'd be smart about it:

Based on the track record, as long as I commit my offense while there are likely to be no witnesses, I'm going to get away with it. There is no logblock or bigbrother setup on this server as of yet, so basically I can get away with murder. I just have to make sure my victim is not online, and not say anything about it where it might get logged.

One of the funniest things to me is the number of people who get caught doing stupid crap, even knowing the rules and knowing what proof is required to get them caught.

My overall point is this: Requiring video/picture proof is a pretty tall order. It pretty much means that only a complete imbecile will actually be caught/banned because anyone with half a brain is going to know how to get away with it.

Not a "Requirement".
I never stated that it was.
But if you have it, it helps. Even a picture of the damage.

That's why I have the "+1" and "-1" in place. Let people vote on it before I make a decision.

Also...who says I DON'T have a plugin like Big Brother installed?
Back to top Go down
https://minescape.forumotion.com
Zessus

Zessus

MineScape Character
Class: Paladin

PostSubject: Re: The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements...   The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements... EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 6:31 pm

A block log will make the server lag HORRIBLY. Also people can't really grief unless its in the wilderness. Which means unless you can't claim half your town, or you're just stupid enough to not join a town and have no protection and build in the wilderness (which should be the person's own fault that they got griefed because they built in the wilderness which basically says hey diphthong you're gonna get griefed). Unless people start making HUGE trenches around a town thats in a desert you can't really do much to grief a town. TnT explosions are off in a town. Outsiders can't destroy or build (unless its turned on then its your own fault again lol).
Back to top Go down
dionnsai

PostSubject: Re: The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements...   The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements... EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 6:38 pm

CavGunner wrote:
...Also...who says I DON'T have a plugin like Big Brother installed?

You dont...or it would have been used by now. Plus yah, it can lag a server a bit.

Zessus wrote:
A block log will make the server lag HORRIBLY. Also people can't really grief unless its in the wilderness. Which means unless you can't claim half your town, or you're just stupid enough to not join a town and have no protection and build in the wilderness (which should be the person's own fault that they got griefed because they built in the wilderness which basically says hey diphthong you're gonna get griefed). Unless people start making HUGE trenches around a town thats in a desert you can't really do much to grief a town. TnT explosions are off in a town. Outsiders can't destroy or build (unless its turned on then its your own fault again lol).

I do agree with Zessus here, but there has been alot of frustrated posting back and forth lately about griefing here and there, and yes alot of it is internally.

Personally in Caernarvon we've had someone running around breaking windows, somehow someone's house had all the locks removed recently...which could possibly imply the use of some illicit skills. And of course, someone lately has been disrupting the rail line quite often, all things that yah, it would be nice to have logblock to look up. You'll note I haven't reported these things either since I know it would just be a waste of time.

I'm not necessarily making a direct request for the server in either direction, more just pointing out how the "video/picture proof" thing is fairly difficult to achieve.
Back to top Go down
Zessus

Zessus

MineScape Character

PostSubject: Re: The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements...   The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements... EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 6:54 pm

If people are using hacking tools to break signs/clear plots. Cav should be able to look in his command log and see if someone is using commands to do that.
Back to top Go down
dionnsai

PostSubject: Re: The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements...   The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements... EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 6:57 pm

I'd be more likely to guess someone was using one of the hero skills that's known to be able to break signs.
Back to top Go down
Zessus

Zessus

MineScape Character

PostSubject: Re: The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements...   The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements... EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 7:18 pm

Oh, I see. Yeah Kirvin got his butt laid out over that.
Back to top Go down
dionnsai

PostSubject: Re: The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements...   The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements... EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 7:35 pm

Zessus wrote:
Oh, I see. Yeah Kirvin got his butt laid out over that.

Aye, but that was when he was doing it with witnesses =D
Back to top Go down
Zessus

Zessus

MineScape Character

PostSubject: Re: The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements...   The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements... EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 8:10 pm

If it's one thing I've learned doing police training/patroling. It's that criminals are REALLY REALLY dumb lol. They know they're doing something wrong, they get nervous about it and goof up over it eventually. So far what I've seen with the known trolls on here is that its the same way pretty much. Word gets out that they're a troll. Everyone watches them more closely then they eventually get caught.
Back to top Go down
vengypr0

vengypr0

MineScape Character
Tree Choice: Rogue
Class: archer

PostSubject: Re: The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements...   The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements... EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 9:03 pm

@ dion, i broke into dark's house because he gave the house to me to store my stuff in, idk if thats part of what your talking about but just know he gave me permission -
Back to top Go down
CavGunner
Admin
CavGunner

MineScape Character
Class: Dervish

PostSubject: Re: The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements...   The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements... EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 11:44 pm

Locking this for current lack of use.
Back to top Go down
https://minescape.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements...   The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements... Empty

Back to top Go down

The problem with our current griefing rules/reporting requirements...
Page 1 of 1